Thursday, July 17, 2008

Keep on the sunny side

I really am under the gun today and tomorrow, deadline-wise, but I did want to say something I was thinking about as I was driving home. And nearly colliding head-on with a truck because I was so lost in thought - and heat really gets to me.


Heaven forbid I should use the air conditioner in the Jetta! Or the one that's still sitting in the shed, for that matter ...


This whole blogging thing is very strange to me. I'm always writing stuff, changing it, deleting it, regretting it ...

But hey, I got a nice email from someone at the Richard III Society about my post on the Medieval king ...


So I'm watching the end of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" It's one of my favorite movies. And I figure that no matter what happens to those guys in the movie - all 4 of them - they stick together. They argue, they fight, one of them runs off when the goin' gets tough; but in the end, they are together.

Sort of like the book the movie's based on, I guess.

So here's to friendship, to bonhomie, and to my readers (even though I feel as if I'm sitting in a pub having a beer with them, and they've all got paper bags over their heads).

Hey, even in the movie, the guys are wearing disguises.

How fitting is all that? Sadly, the flood is about to come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob loves OBWAT?...I think it reminds him of his time down south. Or maybe because it's just funny. Or the soundtrack.

I digress. That's a great message, I say. And can apply to lots of things in life (politics, friendship, family).

Cheers to you!

Gillian Swart said...

Mary, I watch it anytime it's playing on cable, plus I have it on DVD. I just love it and the soundtrack IS great!

"You two are just dumber than a bag of hammers." That's my favorite line, also McGill saying he was the "damn pater familias."