Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"I ask you to rescind that designation!"


And with those words, Ron Klodenski opened a mini-floodgate of comments about our landfill to Gov. Deval Patrick, who was at an outdoor town hall meeting this evening in Amesbury.

With others calling out comments behind him, Klodenski responded to an earlier remark by Patrick that he is not a "strong arm" type of person.

"You said you're not a strong arm type of person - but we need you to strong arm your Department of Environmental Protection!" Klodenski began. He then asked the Governor to rescind the DEP's designation of the landfill as 21E.

With that designation by the DEP, any entity that ever dumped toxic materials at the landfill, which was once the city's dump, is liable for its cleanup.

"That's a fair and direct question," Patrick replied. "I am talking to our Massachusetts DEP. I think there is a solution here ... I will talk to the Mass. DEP myself."

Following the meeting, Ward 5 Councillor Brian Derrivan said that he thought it was best in a situation like this to let the residents voice their concerns to the Governor directly (the dump is in his ward). Derrivan sort of indicated that he expects something to happen on the landfill debacle sooner rather than later (I'm paraphrasing and extrapolating). Those legal fees are mounting up!

Well, but think about it, as I did while driving home. The court on Monday gave the city until January to make its case. And what I think I heard is that the preliminary injunction against Wood Waste Boston is for the company to clear out the Everett facility ASAP, as part of the same process.

So we know that New Ventures is kind of in a tough spot, and that this delay by the court seems to be more or less 'sticking it' to them ... doesn't it? New Ventures wants to cap the landfill by year's end ... or maybe I shouldn't have had that beer at the Barking Dog before the meeting!

But hold the phone! People on the Everett Average Citizen are saying if not Newburyport, Wood Waste/New Ventures will have to ship the crap stockpiled in Everett to Ohio.

That ain't going to be cheap.

It all sounds sort of hopeful to me. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

RE the parenthetical phrase, "(the mayor is checking on this for sure for me, with the city attorney; he said he'll let me know tomorrow)" --- which implies that the mayor is doing so based upon inquiry from the Fourth (or Fifth) Estate:

Know for a fact that Mayor Moak is constantly and consistently "checking on this" (and other issues) ... for us.

Gillian Swart said...

I meant he is checking on the Everett piece of the equation for me, because I told him the Everett people don't know what's going on. He's not obligated to provide info to me to pass on to people in Everett ... he offered to do it because he's a good guy. I thought my meaning was obvious. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

We, Everett people, appreciate you trying to find out some info for us. They are saying nothing here. Our local newspapers did not print on word on the hearing. It's been one of the best kept secrets this city has seen in a long time. No leaks from anyone!

I drove by our Mount Everett (Wood Waste) today. The piles seem to be getting larger and larger. We were told at a city council meeting by Thibeault's attorney, Mr Anthony Rossi, that if Newburyport did not allow the increased trucking then the plans were in place to truck the waste to Ohio immediately. Of course, that has not happened. I believe the Newburyport council's vote on the trucking issue was about a month ago.

Our biggest obstacle in Everett is that Mayor DeMaria is in favor of anything Thibeault.

Thank you in advance for any info you may come up with.

MassDee

Gillian Swart said...

Thank you, MassDee and other people in Everett. Unfortunately, I did not hear anything today!