Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Greater Merrimack Valley Restaurant Week


I just returned from the Mission Oak Grill, where they were kicking off the Greater Merrimack Valley Restaurant Week (which is actually 2 weeks, so go figure).

Said Week(s) starts July 27 and ends Aug. 8 (note Saturday dinner is not included).

So, during Restaurant Week(s), you get 3-course (prix fixe menu) lunch for $20.08 pp and/or dinner for $33.08 (note that lunch is not served at all the places; see below). Don't know what the $.08 is all about (I did ask).

13 restaurants, including Mission Oak and The Grog and 2 in Haverhill:

Bistro 45
45 Wingate St.
978-469-9700

Trattoria al Forno (real brick oven; burns wood)
83-87 Washington St.
978-374-8200

I talked quite extensively with reps from both these places (sound good), and Billy Costa told everyone he really liked the pepper app that the Bistro had (see photo). There I go, name dropping again ...

Full list of participants:

Athenian Corner (Lowell) - D - 978.458.7052
Andover Inn (Andover) - L&D - 978.475.5903
Bistro 45 (Haverhill) - D - 978.469.9700
Cassis Bistro Francais (Andover) - D - 978.474.8788
Concord’s Colonial Inn (Concord) - L&D - 978.369.2373
Dalya’s (Bedford) - L&D - 781.275.0700
The Grog (Newburyport) - L&D - 978.465-8008
L’Andana Grill (Burlington) - L&D - 781.270.0100 (same people that own Teatro, Mistral, Mooo and Sorellino in Boston)
Max Stein’s (Lexington) - D - 781.402.0033
Mission Oak Grill (Newburyport) - D - 978.463.9009
Parker House Grill (Dracut) - D - 978.654.4285
Summer Winter (Burlington) - L&D - 781.221.6643
Trattoria al Forno (Haverhill) - D - 978.374.8200


You have to call for reservations to get the Restaurant Week prices! Menus and details available at http://www.merrimackvalleyrestaurantweek.com/.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I had no idea about this!

Gillian Swart said...

Apparently few people do (it's the first one), although it should be getting a lot of press tomorrow (didn't see/recognize reporters from either local paper there, although there were several others present from other parts of the MV).

Spread the word!

Ari Herzog said...

I saw a flyer about this event at the Newburyport Chamber's office about two weeks ago. The flyer advertises a website (with linked menus and more) at www.merrimackvalleyrestaurantweek.com.

Also, if you don't want to call the restaurant to inquire for reservations, you can do it online at www.opentable.com for participating restaurants. (This site can be used year-round, by the way, and around the country.)

Unknown said...

The $.08 is for "2008". Next year lunch will cost you $20.09. New York restaurants do this every year.

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks David!

Ari, I realized after posting that I hadn't put the website in, then I got distracted and forgot all about it (another looming deadline). Thanks for providing the info.

Anonymous said...

Amazing that only 2 of our local restaurants joined. And, after the "blah" meal I had at the Grog the other night, that one's out.

Gillian Swart said...

Actually, The Grog only signed on yesterday (which is why it might not be on the website yet, btw), so only one initially jumped in.

Most of them seemed to be new ventures, and I can only speculate at why the established eateries were climbing on board (but as I'm sure you know, Boston's Restaurant Week is very successful).

Yeah, The Grog can be hit-or-miss. I'm always astounded that they serve Mexican/Southwest style food and yet have no guacamole to offer!

I usually only go there when it's the preference of the person/people with whom I am dining.

I'm still hankering for a place that serves a really good burger - any suggestions? My standard is Joe's American Bar & Grill in Boston ...

Unknown said...

Hi Gillian, your blog is great! I just wanted to give a shout out that The Grog is working on a very special menu for restaurant week to "wow", I should have it very soon! And the Mission Oak's steak is phenomenal and on the menu too!

As for burgers, I'm a huge fan of Fireflys BBQ, the closest is in Framingham but there are three in the Boston suburbs!

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, Jen. I'll be sure to check out The Grog during Restaurant Week. (I give you press - and then I take it away ... sorry!)

So for those of you reading who are not familiar with The Grog, it's a pub-style restaurant with a widely varied menu. To be fair, it's probably not economical for them to keep guacamole lying around since I think most people go for the meat-based offerings.

I really like their nachos and their lamb entree. I don't go there much because I find it too noisy (sensitive eardrums due to sinus troubles, I think).

Anonymous said...

Looking for the best burger in the area? Barking Dog in Amesbury is phenomenal. That's the only place I go now when I need my burger fix!!