Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Former PJ's

Today, while visiting a friend on PI in Newbury *gasp* I heard that the former PJ's location is actually going to be some kind of sandwich shop. I think it should serve ice cream as well, especially moose tracks.

Someone - notice how I'm always proposing someone else do these things - should set up an ice cream stand near the Newbury beach. We seem to have lost our ice cream truck, and as much as the theme jingle from "The Sting" it played as it drove around annoyed me, I find I miss it now that it's gone.

I guess the PI route didn't make enough money ... if anyone catches the driver in Newburyport, if they think of it, please ask him if he or she is the same person who used to drive the island and tell them I am looking for them. Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the ice cream truck on Reservation Terrace over the weekend...

I was hoping PJ's would become a sub/sandwich/pizza place....Now we just need a pub.

Bob Lobster sells a small, rotating selection of Richardson's ice cream.

Gillian Swart said...

I know (about Bob Lobster) but more often than not, I don't care for any of the selections. Some of them are just plain weird.

I hear the former Beachcoma is/was for sale ... maybe someone will pick it up and start a pub (if they ccan get a liquor license). My guess is that it would be another PIG-like establishment, though.

Anonymous said...

And moose tracks isn't weird ?

It's my understanding that they were opening the former PJ's for 1 sales transaction per year to maintain the non-conforming business use - I assume they're doing the same for the Beachcoma - so they probably still have the liquor license as well.

The PIG is fine for special dinners - but we need a reasonably priced place to get a burger and a brew - or two....

Gillian Swart said...

From what I heard last year when I was doing a story about the vacant buildings for the Current, the liquor license transfer was about to expire because they weren't using it. Unless they've done something in the interim (don't know what that would have been), it's gone, according to the state liquor license board (ABC?).

Use it or lose it, I remember the woman saying to me ...

Anonymous said...

Well, it's Newbury, so they shouldn't have too much problem getting it back. :-)

Maintaining the non-conforming business use is far more important.

Gillian Swart said...

I agree - all this agreement is making me vertiginous. But when I spoke to someone at the Newbury Assessors last year, they said that it is what it is and it isn't going to change (the use). It's a 3/4-size lot.

Apparently, a certain someone blew her stack right there in Town Hall when she found that out ...