Sunday, July 6, 2008

Honey Dew doesn't

I have been thinking a lot about that poor woman who was slumped in her vehicle outside the Honey Dew Donuts shop in Salisbury for - what? - 16 or so hours before anyone thought to call for help. Read it here, in our local daily.

As far as I can tell, the Daily News has not run a follow-up that includes the deceased Amesbury woman's name.

This strikes a chord with me in more than the fact that she was not that old (35).

When I lived in Boston, for a while I suffered through severe panic attacks, which were made worse by the fear that if I collapsed on the street, no one would help me. Well ... I guess it does not take a big city.

This whole story is unbelievable to me.

Amber Girard, a clerk at the doughnut shop, said the woman ordered a coffee at the drive-through at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday but drove past the window and parked in front of the store instead of picking it up. Girard said the woman seemed to be slumped over in the passenger seat, and the Jeep was still parked in front of the store at 6 p.m.

Chief David L'Esperance said the Bridge Road eatery's manager discovered the body in a black Jeep at about 7:15 a.m. and called police. (This paragraph comes before the other one in the actual report.)

Boy, if I was that clerk, I would not be talking to the press. She seems to not understand the implications of her inaction, but then the story is only 4 paragraphs long.

What's just as intriguing are the comments on the piece, both from Carrot, who says he's afraid of Marlboro St. and Federal St., after dark. It's a drug thang, he claims.. It seems he would not have come to this woman's aid either, seeing as how it could have "turned out to be a drug-related crime scene from Newburyport that spilled over into Salisbury."

Then someone who calls himself or herself "The Commish," an alleged law enforcement professional, comes along in the comments to confirm that we should all be very afraid: Newburyport is filled with lots of poor people driving BMWs and the rates of substance abuse and domestic violence in town are climbing sky high. Both of these are tell-tale signs of poverty and economic distress. I think most people would be totally shocked to know the truth.

Errr ... yeah ... why don't we know "the truth?" I don't see a lot of crime here that would suggest roving bands of drug-crazed people are terrorizing the city. Unless, of course, it's being kept a secret. That makes a lot of sense.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest blogger Jillian,

Reading the comments on that fine article cannot but lead one to the final conclusion that there are certainly some very gullible people reading the Daily News on-line and commenting on the stories.

In fact this Carrot fellow appears to be quite the master of chaos.

- Mahatma Kote

Gillian Swart said...

Yes, well, I notice both comments have been removed from the site. Panic must have ensued on the streets of Newburyport. I have to say, I was just on Federal St. - and although it was morning, I felt the menace in the air.

Anonymous said...

Dearest blogger Jillian,

I still can view and see the comments. I can also read that other commenters are starting to agree with his thesis that the woman in the Honey Don't (I have made a joke in English, Allah be blessed!) incident may have represented a danger to life and limb and that Newburyport is a den of hidden crime.

There is also a discussion about yard sales. I believe this comment string will go on for a while.

And yes, I was walking the streets of Newburyport last night in hope of enjoying my constitutional. I did not see any suspicious activity other than the morally filthy things I see on a daily basis that offend an unbeliever such as myself.

- Mahatma Kote

Anonymous said...

As one who regularly walks on both Federal and Marlboro streets, I guess I'm going to have to start watching my back. Or, maybe I should be packing?

BTW, I was having withdrawal symptoms because of the entire blogging crew taking the weekend off. Don't let that happen again. :-)

Gillian Swart said...

Damn holiday weekends! There was nothing good on which to comment (well, there was, but I've decided to be good and not so negative - let's see how long that lasts).

Gillian Swart said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot Mahatma. I see the comments are still there and many more that I did not see upon my last perusal. That Carrot dude IS quite the rabble rouser. Isn't he a 'friend' of yours?

Good thing I have nothing worth stealing!

Anonymous said...

My guess is the woman was 300+ pounds and the donuts are what did her in.
The girl at the drive thru is not at fault, for $6.50 an hour all she should have to worry about is making coffee and collecting money for the coffee and donuts she sells, and should not worry about having to decide if a person leaning over in a car is dead, napping or giving head.

Gillian Swart said...

Not unsurprisingly, I don't agree with this view at all, anonymous. What difference does it make how much the woman weighed if indeed she was overweight? She was a human being who died, possibly because no one took the time to check on her strange behavior on the day of her death.

How would you like to have been lying in your vehicle for 16 hours, dead or dying, while people walked by, oblivious?

And, what, does making a low wage exempt you from being part of humanity now?

Give me a break!