Friday, July 25, 2008

Speeding tickets

I've noticed lately a lot more attention being paid to the traffic along the PI Turnpike, by the police departments of both Newbury and Newburyport.

This is a good thing, because it's been like a dragway out there lately. One of the things I also notice about all the vehicles associated with the water/sewer hookups and the spurt of new building out on the island is that speeding and reckless driving has increased.

Pickup trucks with logos of local builders spin down Old Point Rd. as if the hounds of hell are in pursuit.

I hate to say it (why?), but the biggest offender is a school bus driver who, when school was in session, drove her bus so fast that I think even the kids inside were scared shitless. This is/was a Triton bus, by the way.

Our city's animal control officer recently told me about all the dead dogs she has to pick up on Northern Blvd. - a residential area (as is all of Plum Island, I would think) where nobody should be driving faster than 25 mph.

So CNN.com has the top 10 ways to avoid getting a speeding ticket, which I don't think will work on the PI Turnpike, or Northern Blvd., or Old Point Rd.

I'm glad that they point out that the best way to avoid getting a ticket is to not speed, but tips on how to avoid being caught breaking the law kind of irk me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. People drive so fast - not only on the main roads, but down the narrow side roads, too. It's a huge pet peeve.