Friday, July 11, 2008

A message from Michigan

So my old mentor (as in, from years ago) Gary Custer was alerted to my post that mentioned him and wrote me an email.

He says he rarely drank more than a half case of beer a day in 1976 and that his "gentle" cat, Ronin Neko, lived to be 22 years old.

Isn't that a cool name for a cat? I had forgotten the cat's name (and apparently the rate of beer consumption). I was never one to pass up certain substances myself back then, so my memory was probably hampered by ... oh dear, I do get myself into pickles, don't I?

Someday I'll have to dig out my East Village Magazines from back then, find a scanner and show you the amazing photographs Gary took (he probably still does). Although I love all good photography (check out the blog South End Blend if you do, too), his specialty was black and white photos.

I did not learn any particular photographic techniques from Gary, but I do still cringe every time I see someone with a camera slung around their neck (should be over the shoulder, he told me, to prevent jostling) and also taking photos with one hand.

Of course, this relates to 35mm cameras, of which I own 3 in addition to the crappy digital camera.

Thus ends my reminiscences of 1976 to whatever year it was I moved out of Flint's East Village and into Pontiac, Michigan. Yes, hometown of Madonna. I was the one who encouraged her to "be herself."

OK, I lie ... our paths never crossed, that I know of.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nod, Gillian. I'm still learning. :)

Gillian Swart said...

You're welcome - It was long overdue, Mary. I've enjoyed your photography for some time now. I love how you can take ordinary household items and make them art (I also love little bowls, by the way.). You have a good eye.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Flint, someone referred to the illustration at the bottom of the linked article as the best news graphic ever.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/NEWS06/307080009

Gillian Swart said...

The one showing the various levels of saggy pants and the associated punishments? That is pretty hilarious!

Thanks, Dick!

Macy Swain said...

That graphic made my day. Flint never fails to entertain.
By the way, it's Ed Custer who does most of the fabulous photography these days for East Village Magazine. Gary, fortunately, concentrates on rigorous, spirited and downtright cantankerous editing and providing the necessary doses of Irish for his columnists on proofreading day.

Gillian Swart said...

I think that was the case (Ed and Casey doing most of the photography) when I left. The pipe! I forgot about Gary's pipe smoking ... his parents were lovely people.