Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The liberator

City Councillor Ed Cameron blogs about the new newspaper in town, The Newburyport Liberator, in a recent post, here.

Following in the footsteps of William Lloyd Garrison and Tom Ryan, Jim Roy is publishing "The Newburyport Liberator" as covered in this Current article.

Wow. If I say anything more, I'll offend everyone mentioned in that sentence who is still living.

Cameron goes on to list 3 things, among others, that he likes about Jim Roy.

Number one, I guess, I can see (he can name the 1957 Boston Red Sox starting lineup).

Number two, he had a Cameron bumper sticker on his car, along with one disparaging honor students (his border collie is smarter than everyone's honor student). Well, those bumper stickers proclaiming one's child to be an honor student are mildly offensive ... if something can be mildly offensive.

And three, despite #2, he gave Cameron the finger while Cameron was campaigning?

What does this mean?

Jim Roy last fall approached me at a social gathering, introduced himself, and then said he wanted to talk to me. I then proceeded to get into a hot debate with a few other people about the NRA dirt parking lots. Actually, I was lucky to escape the house unscathed; I really thought this one woman was going to belt me.

I guess I'm on the wrong side of the issue because we never did have that talk. Which is fine - but I'd really like to hear about the castle in Ireland.

3 comments:

ECC said...

Jeepers, Gillian....my post didn't really mean anything other than I find Jim to be an amusing person -- I don't think any honors students or parents of honors students take offense at those bumperstickers -- and I wish his publication well...at least until I'm savaged in its pages;-).

"Following in the footsteps of William Lloyd Garrison..." was an attempt at facetiousness. Obviously Garrison couldn't hold a candle to Roy. Okay, that's facetious too...;-).

Ed Cameron

Gillian Swart said...

Jeepers, Ed ... didn't mean to cause offense (if I did)/ I found your post to be amusing, that's all! I was trying to emulate the tone ... guess I missed the mark.

I think it's funny (as in, ha-ha) you think it's funny that he gave you the finger ... it was too good to let go without comment - and you're a much more tolerant person than am I!

ECC said...

Gillian,

Glad we're on the same page...I think you hit the mark...it just went over my head;-).

Peace, Ed