Friday, July 11, 2008

Notes from Plum Island

One of my neighbors just emailed me, encouraging me to comment on the recent spate of nude sunbathers on the Newbury Town Beach, the Refuge beach, and the state beach at Sandy Point (all on Plum Island), as reported in the Daily News.

Just for the record, although it is not stated anywhere, nude sunbathing is not allowed on Plum Island beaches!

People, be careful driving to and from the beach. There was a bad accident yesterday, while I was in Gloucester, between a car and a motorcycle. I don't see anything about it in the Daily News today, but please watch out for people on bicycles, scooters and motorcycles especially.

This accident happened at the corner of Old Point Road and the PI Blvd. I noticed yesterday that it was difficult to see left around the corner because there was a black SUV parked right at the edge of the gas station there, which was blocking the view of the road.

I also noticed, while munching a hot dog from Islander Nelson Burns available at the PI Airfield, that people are driving WAY too fast.

Usually there's a Newbury cop hidden somewhere around the airport building and the hangar, but I haven't seen one lately. So people have taken to speeding again.

And Bubba, I'm not ignoring your comment about certain long-vacant buildings on the island, I just want to get a scoop on what is the story! Stephen Tait might still be on vacation, in Michigan, so is not reading ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is with people and their super-fast driving? Not only is it totally unsafe, but honestly - what's the point?

Our house spans across 2 streets in the South End. Both the front and back streets are one way and narrow. I cannot get over how fast people drive down them. It's so bad that I really am fearful someone will get hurt (there are kids in the neighborhood).

I wish people would just slow down.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately we can't depend upon 'wishing' for our concerns and safety. We have laws that need not only stricter enforcing, but action from judges to set examples. I used to believe the 'system' would protect us, but now know that the system fails us when we need it most! Driving has somehow become a necessity, no longer a privilege worth guarding.
It is just too easy to push a petal and get to wherever you are going ignoring everyone else in the world as you get your way.