Saturday, July 12, 2008

My take on the "Liberator"

I was at Tendercrop today, they had copies of the Liberator on sale, so I bought one. Somehow, I expected something on newsprint (not sure why; maybe because it's something I had thought of).

It's nice that Jim Roy referenced 3 stories I wrote for the Current. Let me clarify:

Minnesota Redux (about the Whittier (I-95) bridge): Our mayor prefaced his comment (about having confidence in MassHighway keeping the bridge open) by saying he was not an engineer, and then followed it up by saying he sees MassHighway crews out there all the time, working on the bridge. Mayor Thatcher Kezer of Amesbury also said the bridge is not in eminent danger of collapsing and got pretty technical about it.

Plum Island Sob Story: The people who bought the house on Plum Island were told by mayor (prior to completing the purchase) that the city would do something to get them access to the property. Now here was an opportunity to slam the mayor (for promising something off-the-cuff and then later realizing he'd opened a can of worms).

I'm Seasick (about mooring fees not being collected): This (and the Karp floating docks debacle) was the Harbor Commission's lapse, not necessarily that of the Harbormaster, Ralph Steele. He, in fact, was quite snarky about the fact that marina owners were being given a "pass" in paying the mooring fees, both in the meeting and when I talked to him the next day. Some long-time members of the Harbor Commission wanted to keep things the way they are. I know, the Harbor Commission is all volunteers - but in at least this case, there seems to be a definite bias towards protecting the people who make a living off the waterfront.

So you see how, no matter what you write, people are going to put their own interpretation on it?

(And despite my talking to Will Courtney about following up on the PI and moorings stories, the Daily News has not done so. The people in the PI case were talking about hiring a lawyer when last I spoke with them ...)

Well, I'm sure I do it myself. So let's see how it goes, shall we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gillian,

I picked up a Liberator for the fun of it. It's pretty much what I expected, everything he supports is worthwhile, everything else is a "special interest".

Gillian Swart said...

Yeah - it's like a blog, only in print form.