Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Faygo and Koegel's and Angelo's


I got this comment off a recipe forum. It pretty much sums up the Flint experience (the good, albeit unhealthy, one):

Though I'm not from Michigan or grew up with Coney Islands, but ex-husband is originally from Flint. He had me hooked on them, the meats from Kogel's, Verner's ginger ale, and love the cheese from Pinconning. My ex brought home packages of Kogel's vienna hotdogs, coney island sauce fron Angelo's, along with Verner's ginger ale, it's the best! Oh, I also love those pickled bologna from Kogel's meats, and the Red Hots, YUMMY!

Ah, the memories ... going to Angelo's (a Coney Island-style restaurant) for a coney dog, a Vernor's (was the best ginger ale ever, until they changed it - it would tickle your nose) and hash browns (American fries?) with gravy. Does that last item sound icky enough? It was DELICIOUS!

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like a Koegel's Vienna. It's your regulation Michigan hotdog, only somehow vastly superior to any other sausage known to man.

And there is (or was) nothing like Faygo Redpop - except for the Rock & Rye, that is.

Faygo (a Detroit company), by the way, is credited with starting the habit people in the Midwest have of saying "pop" instead of "soda." It still always jolts me when my mother says, "We need some pop."

Faygo had this commercial featuring people on a Bob-Lo boat (Detroit), singing:


Oh, now I'm all misty-eyed ... hey, I can buy the commercial on VHS, for just $9.95! Where's my damn check book? Gotta go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMIGOD....I actually have tears rolling down my face. How and where to order one? I promise to bring you back some Viennas when we go to Mich in August.

- Sarah

Gillian Swart said...

On the Faygo website, there's a button you can click for the commercial. I can't believe the # of times we've talked about the commercial, and it was right there on YouTube the whole time!

P.S. You're going to Mich in August??

Gillian Swart said...

P.P.S. And you're in San Francisco??

Anonymous said...

Yes, Vic & I came out here for a week. Didn't I share that?? And in August, the Academy is having an all-classes (it was only in operation from '75 to '88) reunion. That's when I'm going to meet up w/Gerald and his wife and kiddies.

- Sarah