Monday, July 21, 2008

My trip on a tall ship (August 2006)











I was reminded when reading this post on Tom Salemi's blog and this one on South End Blend of two days just a little short of 2 years ago, when I sailed on the three-masted "Friendship"as it made its way from Salem (MA) to Newburyport.

That's her, docked on Newburyport's waterfront.
I was on assignment from the Current. The (then) editor, Ulrika Gerth, I recall, phoned me up to say she couldn't go because the trip would extend over a production day, and did I want to do it (she sounded sorry to be bothering me with it).

"Are you kidding?" I said. "I'd love it!"

And I did - nearly every second of it, even the sleepless night and the next morning, when we were bobbing on anchor off the coast, waiting for the tide to turn so we could enter the mouth of the river.

The part I will never forget is entering the river, on motor, past Salisbury Beach (at the mouth of the river), and all the people running down the beach towards us. Literally hundreds of people running, and waving, and smiling, and cheering.

Makes me all misty just thinking about it. You can read my account of the journey here (sadly, the archived article doesn't seem to include the great photographs taken by Nicole Goodhue Boyd).

Anyone recognize the man in the photo? Yes, it's former Daily News reporter Nick Pinto. He climbed all the way up the mast, the brave fellow. I took this shot of him when he was about halfway up. (Click on images to enlarge.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Amazing shots. Just our time wandering the boats was wonderful; I can't imagine actually sailing on one. You are very lucky!

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, Mary, that means a lot coming from you with your expertise. I have the Current to thank, but I'll never forget that trip. It's an almost all volunteer crew; all it takes is filling out some paperwork and a willingness to work hard.