Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I live in harmony with spiders

Wow, I've been busy today! A deadline today (which I'm having trouble meeting) and one Friday ... well, Sunday, anyway.

So I was just wandering around, collecting my thoughts and armed to the teeth - with my fly swatter. It is my constant companion.

Yesterday, I must have killed a dozen greenheads on the enclosed porch. Funny, I don't seem to encounter them outside. I try to catch and release whenever possible, but that doesn't work that well.

Oh, yeah! The spiders.

People entering my tiny abode may notice spider webs in corners and up in the peaked roof of the main room of the cottage. I used to tear them all down with a venom (pun intended, I guess).

Then I realized that the spiders, who leave me alone as long as I return the favor, love to dine on the bane of my existence in the summer, flies.

So, no, I do not kill spiders anymore, and I leave the webs intact where I can. I say that because, if my cat curls up for a nap, five minutes later there's a web going from him to the wall.

I'm exaggerating - but it's almost that bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The visual of a web going from your cat to the wall is funny. And just this morning I noticed more spider webs than ever around our yard: on plants, the light above our back door, the hose, everything.

Hey - if they eat flies, I'm with you. Leave them be.

Oh - and a greenhead took a ride with us for a good 4 blocks last night. Nothing like being in an enclosed area with one of THOSE for more than 3 seconds.

Gillian Swart said...

Oh lord, I had 5 or 6 of them in my car one time, with my niece and nephew, who were shrieking if one of them flew anywhere close to their bodies.