Thursday, May 1, 2008

It's a spam scam Sam-I-am...

Guest post from David Barker, VP of operations at Declude, an email security company located here in Newburyport.

I do not like them near my inbox.
I do not like them with my firefox.
I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them clicking my mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like phishing and spam.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

10 Tips for personal online security

1. Email is unsecured communication - never send credit card, password or private personal information (e.g. Social Security Number) over email.

2. Avoid using your Debit Card as a Credit Card online.

3. If you shop online or use online services regularly, apply for a separate credit card for use with online purchases only, keep a low credit limit on the card.

4. When choosing a password use the following basic guidelines:
i. At least 7 characters long.
ii. Your password should not be found in any dictionary of any language
iii. Use variation like uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols (@#$%^&*)

5. If entering your credit card or personal information online always look for the locked padlock icon at the bottom of your browser window to see if you're protected.

6. Scam artists use a technique called phishing in which an email is sent to you that looks exactly like your bank or a website you are familiar with like www.paypal.com. Sometimes these emails are so deceptive it is difficult to tell the difference between a real email and a fake email. Never follow a link from an email that requests an update of personal information or payment information. If you receive such an email go directly to your browser and type the URL into the address bar.

7. Protect you computer with a quality anti-virus and anti-spyware software.

8. Keep a paper trail - print any online receipts or transactions as record and monitor your accounts regulary.

9. If you're shopping in the United States, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) handles consumer complaints and distributes valuable and up-to-date information on consumer protection. Call 1-877-FTC-HELP to enter a complaint about identity theft or Internet fraud.

10. Most importantly of all use common sense, trust your instinct.

Test your Identity Theft IQ http://onguardonline.gov/quiz/idtheft_quiz.html

No comments: