Monday, May 5, 2008

Writers in the extended family

(With apologies to me mum, me dad and me U.S. sibs, most of whom have also been published or may be in the near future. I'll get to you in other posts.)

My great-grandfather, Charles Miller Austin (called 'Miller' by one and all) had a younger brother, Edmund O. Austin.

Uncle E.O. wrote "The Black Challenge" in 1958. It's about black people living in Harlem post-World War I and the "Back to Africa!" movement - and a man who emigrates there from the West Indies.

Uncle E.O. emigrated to New York and earned an LLB (Bachelor of Laws) at Fordham University, in 1910. He lived mostly in Yonkers, NY, for the rest of his life.

While I never knew my great-grandfather, I did on occasion see Uncle E.O. and his wife, my Aunt Thelma. My (biological) father has a sister, my Godmother, who for many years lived in New York (and who has since retired to the pastoral hills of New Jersey) and I used to visit her there.

I remember Aunt Thelma and Uncle E.O. taking me to what at that point was the fanciest restaurant I had ever been to. I was 12.

I have to say, I don't remember Uncle E.O. as well as I remember Aunt Thelma. I think that was the last time I saw him, when I was 12. Aunt Thelma, a great deal younger than he when they married, died last year at age 101.

I had no idea that Uncle E.O. had even written a book, until Aunt Thelma mentioned it to me on my last visit to Barbados (regrettably, to attend my grannie's funeral).

OK, so on my mother's side of my family, my first cousin is also a published writer and a playwright. His most recent (?who knows?he doesn't keep in touch ... let's say it's his first) play was staged in Williamstown last summer.

He's brilliant.

You can see (and read) Damian here, on Telegraph.co.uk. As far as I know, he still lives in NYC with his wife and 2 small daughters.

His father, my uncle, was a sports reporter/editor for the "Daily Mail" until he retired. He still writes. We spent a little time in Williamstown, talking about the frustrations involved in being a reporter.

Hmmmm ... He's much better looking than the photo would indicate.

No comments: