Friday, May 2, 2008

Love our downtown

I just came back from a trip to downtown. Took in a few things worth mentioning.

Got a peek at the cover of the Current. There's a story on the front page about the wind turbine that Mark Richey had applied to install.

yay. Current.

Stopped at The Fragrance Bar on State St. and got scented up.

Fancy Schmancy is now open, next to Windsor & Davis on Pleasant St. I popped in for just a bit to check it out. But W&D -- they gave up half of their retail space, which FS moved into. It seemed very cramped in there but who cares? I still love their stuff. Always buy at least one Christmas present there; have done every year since I've lived here.

Violet (floral) Designs owner Traci Terrick is closing her small retail space inside the front door of Grand Trunk to concentrate on her burgeoning wedding arrangement business. She has a new blog, violetdesigns.blogspot.com because, she said, "brides love to blog."

She's selling off her plants, plant pots and fixtures. (Grand Trunk, again, is my favorite store in the city. It's even better than Jabberwocky - probably it's the consumables angle that gives it the edge.)

Anyway, the buzz in Grand Trunk was the Upper Crust coming to town. I told everyone to check out a certain person's blog where there was a poll going on about best pizza place in town and noted how many pizza emporia (?) we have around these parts. I really had not realized.

Finally, went to Greta's for some pastry and a latte to go. Two pastries, actually. My jeans are getting awful tight around the waist.

No comments: