Monday, May 5, 2008

Barbados:time for DNA testing

I was reminded of my Barbados family not only by the Rev. Wright/Obama situation, but by emails I began getting over the weekend about an "Austin Clan get together."

There are a lot of us Austin cousins - my grannie was one of 12 children. Actually, one died tragically from a gunshot wound when he was a child and one never married so there are descendants of 10 Austins that we're talking about here.

I could do this a lot better if I could actually find my papers on the ancestry (I recently had a "spring clean" so have no idea where anything is anymore. These things used to be very handily located in a pile by the couch.)

I commend whatever family member (I suspect it was my older first cousin, Anne) who put us all in one list.

The emails flying back and forth confirm that no one has been able to go back beyond my great-great grandfather, William Agard Austin (had to correct my previous post about that).

I know that I don't have the most extensive readership on this blog but I'm hoping someone somewhere has some information. There was a brother of, I believe, Charles Miller Austin who left the island and was never heard from again. A lot of Barbadians immigrated to New England (and Toronto) but frankly, great-grandfather Miller Austin was the oldest child and he probably knew the most about the ancestors.

Which isn't much, apparently.

No comments: