Sunday, June 1, 2008

Two locals in the news

A reader has alerted me via email to 2 Newburyport-area people who are featured in today's Globe.

The first is Andre Dubus III, in the form of a review of his new novel, The Garden of Last Days. I had coincidentally just an hour or so before bought the book at Jabberwocky. I also bought a replacement copy of House of Sand and Fog, Dubus' last novel before this one.

Of course, I have not read The Garden of Last Days yet. But I did read the review in the Globe, just 2 days after having read an equally glowing review by Stephen King in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly. (I can't find that piece on the EW website. If it's on there, they're making it too difficult to find.)

I met Andre Dubus' mother, Pat Dubus (and the man himself) last December at the Geiger Crisis Center gala. Suzanne Dubus, the executive director of the center, is Andre's sister.

I told Pat how much I had loved House of Sand and Fog and how it had made me cry. She told me that this one would break my heart. I related this exchange to the clerk at Jabberwocky and she said, "It's beautifully written - but it will break your heart."

I read the first page of both books a few minutes ago (I plan to re-read House of Sand and Fog before starting the new one). The man can grab you from the get-go. Out of respect for his mastery of the written word, I won't relay the bizarre aspects of my one and only meeting with him.

I am kind of peeved, however, at how much of the story the Globe review gives away (King was more sparing), but it's not going to stop me from reading the book.

***

The second piece is in the Globe magazine and is a short Q&A featuring Eureka!, the toy store that is affiliated with Jabberwocky, in the Tannery. The piece focuses on beach toys, but Eureka! is always worth a visit, if you have kids or are shopping for kids.

Nancy Streeter, the owner, is the sister of Sue Little, who owns Jabberwocky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Click here to watch a video of Andre Dubus III discussing The Garden of Last Days

Gillian Swart said...

Hey, thanks! Cool, Tendercrop Farm. I heard 'they' were filming him there ... now we know who 'they' were!