Friday, April 17, 2009

Tiptoeing down Toppans Lane

I have to say, I was happy to read this in today's Daily News - the Planning Board rejected the proposed development on Toppans Lane, at the site of a former farm.

I know that development is part of (financial) forward progress, but honestly - I was driving through Newbury as usual for a Thursday (coming back from Gloucester) and I was paying attention so I noticed how much of the farmland has been broken up for development.

I'm not blaming anyone; I just think it's a shame.

Especially now, when local farms are coming back through community supported agriculture and other initiatives that are being embraced by people looking for food not tainted by chemicals.

On a related note, I can't wait for the Farmer's Market to open, in June. Boston has - or had - one at Copley Square every week and I used to bop over there after work to pick up fresh veggies and baked goods.

And even Flint, when I lived there oh so many years ago, had a permanent market in an old mill building on the river ...

I'm happy to see that, at least for now, some open space has been preserved.

No comments: