Sunday, April 26, 2009

Take me from the river

I have to say, I was really surprised at how sparse the attendance was at the State of the River address yesterday. The talk was given by representatives of the Merrimack River Watershed Council.

Basically only a handful of people showed up to hear about CSOs and other good stuff that proves the federal government has really let us down as far as keeping the Merrimack River clean.

We've got three major problems in MA on the river, after it rains: they would be Lawrence, Lowell and Haverhill. The Council is working with these communities to improve the situation, but really the EPA needs to get on the ball.

It's the old mills and the antiquated systems still in place that allow storm water to get into the river. And the illicit dumping of crap.

I have to say, I did not realize how evil storm water can be. It's the cars people drive and the fertilizers people put on their lawns ...

The long and short of it is - after a big rain event (+ 1/4" of rain in 72 hrs.) you shouldn't be swimming in the river. Sometimes you shouldn't even be boating on the river.

I never see any warnings ... do you?

But my point is, although I'm told Sen. Bruce Tarr stopped in briefly, no other legislator or city official bothered to stop by.

50 miles of river and lots of communities and no one but Tarr even made the effort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nbpt's storm water runs into the river as well

Gillian Swart said...

Yeah, but I think nbpt has some kind of stormwater management plan - doesn't it? Obviously I have to do more investigating before I write my piece.

The CSOs - the combined sewer overflows - at least last year were all triggered upriver from here. Or is that downriver?