Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Roy turns up the amps

In my various travels today - I'm really starting to dread Wednesdays (deadline day for both the Current and Seacoast Scene) - I saw a copy of The Newburyport Liberator on sale at Tendercrop Farm.

I knew I had to eat at some point, or I'd be biting someone's head off later ...

Anyway ... The Liberator.

It's almost all about the landfill. The front page headline screams:

MAYOR OF EVERETT A LIAR?
GUESS AGAIN!

Sadly, Jim Roy doesn't put his content online. He's got this whole article, in which he outlines out everything Mayor DeMaria said was going to happen with Mayor Moak did, in fact, happen.

He also makes this declaration: "Time for a change in Ward 5. If Bruce Vogel was still in office, he'd be standing out on Pleasant Street tossing grenades into the mayoral office."

For those of you not in the 'know,' Derrivan beat out Vogel for his Ward 5 seat in the last election. And City Hall is on Pleasant St.

Roy goes on to quote from my story on the infamous YouTube videos featuring DeMaria and then writes, "Mouthpiece, stooge, BS artist ... whatever ... it appears DeMaria got it right. Everything DeMaria said was going to happen, has happened. Let's put a halo around the Everett mayor's head and move on, shall we?"

Jim Roy sure does know how to turn a phrase ...

Along on page 10 are two side-by-side pieces, one by former mayoral candidate Jim Stiles and the other is an interview with Ron Klodenski. Stiles says he reluctantly supports Moak's plan to close the landfill.

"As matters stand now, it's the only game in town."

Klodenski, of course, does not support Mr. Moak's decision.

Ron: ...I have two hopes for the future. The first is that there will be some kind of turnaround. That sure, Moak is right, we're all wrong, NV really has turned over a new leaf, they're going to do what they're supposed to do. The second hope is that I'll win the lottery next week.

NLib: Then you can move.

Ron: Exactly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance that article can be scanned? I'm sure Dimaria told his share of lies but its true what Dimaria said would happen in Newburyport, in fact did. That contradicts Moaks actions.

Gillian Swart said...

I'll try!

Anonymous said...

Dearest blogger Gillian,

It is with great relief that I peruse this article and the fine broadsheet 'Liberator'. As my friend said to me the other day 'It is high time that Jim Roy used his awesome powers of complaint for good'.

With the sincereness,

Mahatma Kote