Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My morning joe

Well of course I've got lots to whine about, having been too busy yesterday to blog.

Today is no different, actually - except I'm in a funk.

I was thinking a while ago, in my favorite thinking spot (bed), about the exchanges I've been having with reader Bubba about Larry McCavitt.

I guess I can relate to McCavitt because, in my experience, nothing gets done unless you scream about it. Then you take your losses along with your victories.

That's the way it works: you scream about every little thing and hope something fundamentally wrong will be changed as a result.

Why do you think a Ron Klodenski has been screaming about the landfill for 20-odd years? Because he likes spending all his free time working on matters relating to a stinky pile of shit?

Well ... maybe ... I don't know Ron that well ... (that's a joke).

Why do you think I carry on about the Daily News? It's not because the paper is a competitor to the one for which I write, it's because I WANT it to be better.

McCavitt wants it to be better. Ron K wants it to be better. Note that both these people are up against the DEP. I think we can all agree that the DEP needs to do better.

Whatever good the DEP has done here after kicking and screaming all the way is because people like that are willing to take them on when the rest of us aren't.

They are not whining - they are trying to fix what's wrong with the system for you and for me.

Without them and others like them, we'd probably have a vacant hotel/inn next to the Custom House Museum (one without adequate parking), we'd have a landfill that never closed (we might still have that) and an owner who wasn't called to task for not following the rules.

And private citizens would have no access to the river at all.

That's my morning joe.

No comments: