Friday, April 3, 2009

Can't wait for the response to this

A while back, a Townie (note he uses the term "local") wrote this to me:

In my opinion that's the real difference between the locals and the outsiders: The locals love where we are, the outsiders like to complain about EVERYTHING.


Note that this person is someone in his 40s.

And I have to ask: why would you move somewhere that you want so much to change?

It reminds me of a person marrying someone who really doesn't suit them but thinking they will change the other person after they are married.

That rarely, if ever, works.

I can appreciate Tom Salemi's comment about being able to enjoy the waterfront the way it is while also not being opposed to Mr. Karp's plans to change it.

But if you really, really love something exactly the way it is, you don't want it to change.

Conversely, things change and some people embrace change.

But I have to wonder if those people who came from somewhere else have stability in that somewhere else?

Can you at any time go back to the house you grew up in, or at least your old neighborhood, with full assurance it will still basically be the same?

(I cannot because every place where it could be said I grew up has changed dramatically, in that one house was taken for eminent domain and was torn down or moved and the other burned after we moved away.)

Having a luxury hotel and condos on the waterfront as opposed to being able to watch boats being put into the river every year and being able to walk along the river without feeling like you don't belong in the town where you've spent your entire life is such a lovable concept ... you just want to hug the dickens out of it.

Every time I think about this, I think about my brother-in-law, who grew up in Medford, and us being at Revere Beach a few years back ... the look on his face, and the tinge of sadness in his voice, when he shrugged and said, "Eh, it's not the same as it used to be."

6 comments:

Dick Monahan said...

We've only been here for 5 years, but we moved here because we like what it is. It would be nice if nothing changed (see below).

But, I'm not opposed to change, as long as none of it obstructs public access to the Riverfront, as is required by law (Chapter 91, I believe). A hotel, for instance, would be good, as long as we can walk between it and the river.

The one thing I'd like to see changed is the population of stores downtown. Now, they are heavily weighted toward tourists. I'd like to see more shops that cater to us. The only way that's going to happen is if someone takes a chance on opening such a store and then we patronize it. That's probably not likely to happen.

Bubba The Pseudo Townie said...

Change happens, it's just easy to blame in on newbies. Unless folks are willing to support zero population growth and limit how many children one can have, I don't see how you stop it.

Tom Salemi said...

I still have family living in the house and neighborhood where I spent the first 11 years of my life, just a mile or so from Revere. As my family tells me when I visit, the place has changed a lot since the gilded age of the 1970s, and they're not too happy about it either.

There is no stability. Things change. Some places rise, some fall.

One more thing--please, please, please--don't confuse the interests of Karp, who bought the property with the sole purpose of developing it and enriching himself, with people who simply wanted to live in a great community.

I get a chuckle out of people who boast about living here their entire live as if it was some grueling undertaking.

Folks, this place is WONDERFUL. I think anyone who spent their entire life here is blessed, which is why I busted my ass (and bank account) to move here so my kid can have the privilege.

Believe me, if I had the good fortune of growing up here I never would have left. But in a way I'm glad I didn't grow up here as my past experiences enable me to appreciate every second I spend here.

Anonymous said...

IMO we are 'overstored' for the local population and rely on tourists to support all the stores we currently have. We have ~17,000 people and [heresy] I think we'd be better off if we had somewhat more. Another few hundred folks over 55 or under 30 wouldn't hurt nor would 'off season' tourism or business meetings if that were possible. Also all the focus on the waterfront development ignores other parts of the city that could be sensibly grown like around the RT 1 circle.

James Shanley said...

Someone once said to me "Everyone want Newburyport to freeze in time the day they close on their house".
I used to have really nice chestnut colored hair and some halfway decent muscles.

Haven't seen either in a while, and its a safe bet that one of them just isn't coming home.

Gillian Swart said...

hey you guys, I'm not the decider - I'm just an observer. It is a fact of living here and trying to pretend it isn't doesn't make it not so.

That being said by me - well said Tom! And James, I'm just trying to imagine you with chestnut colored hair ...

I make no judgments on either group or groups. I have friends from many groups and I respect them all. I do believe that's the key, not dropping labels.