Monday, April 27, 2009

Google it

I'm reiterating my complaint about ads that appear on the Daily News site, while a page is being loaded.

This latest one, for something called a Zwinky, was up for way too long. I know I'm a very impatient person, but this was ridiculous.

I almost gave up looking for this editorial, about the newest parking study.

While I agree with whoever wrote it that it seems to be an exercise in futility, the Daily News keeps ignoring the facts of the matter (or they're relying on Sean Sullivan, who didn't know all the facts).

Perhaps in the future a garage will be needed, when billionaire Steven Karp finally moves forward with plans for the waterfront. Why not wait until that day arrives and let a plan emerge at that time?


I have the answer to that question. This project is going in dribs and drabs and the money is only flowing in one part at a time. The first part is a study.

As transit authority administrator Joseph Costanzo (from the Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority) said to me here, "This is a very preliminary step in a long journey."

Don't these people do any kind of search before they write stuff? The earmark is clearly spelled out both on a goverment site and in a press release from Congressman Tierney (all except the part about the 20% match).

My objection is that its sucking up federal funds that could have been better used elsewhere. The earmark was granted in 2005 ... the city could just have ignored it and I assume the $1.672 mil would have gone back to wherever it came from.

Which sounds just fine to me.

If Karp needs a traffic study and a parking garage, let him pay for it himself. That's my and your taxpayer dollars going to pay for something a private individual could well have afforded.

I can't wait until this whole Waterfront Trust matter is revealed for what I think it is - a land grab.

I so hope I'm wrong.

No comments: