Monday, April 13, 2009

Heavy days

I've been so busy, what with writing stories and finalizing my taxes - god, even typing "taxes" makes my head hurt - I feel as if I haven't been very observant. Until yesterday, that is.

So speaking of the "T" word, my whole situation has cast a new light on a lot of issues for me.

It struck me yesterday, when I realized that I would be better off hanging up the freelancing and going on welfare (it's true), how brutal the current tax code is on non-traditional professions and entrepreneurs.

Artists have always had it tough, unless they had a patron. I'm not exactly clear on why that is because art is such a vital part of existence and can give such joy.

As can a well-written story.

For all the talk a certain ex-president spouted about wanting to encourage entrepreneurship (something of which he once said the French didn't understand the meaning - what a buffoon), I don't see how small businesses survive at all.

My brother yesterday pointed out that 50 years ago, you could support your family on a small business or being a bus driver, or whatever ... actually, bus drivers probably make good money, so check that ... but you get my point.

I don't want, nor do I intend to, go on welfare. It was just that I realized that I would be better off on a state program - which would in turn make it oh so tempting to 'cheat' and take money under the table for the odd job.

They don't make it easy ... but who said it was going to be easy?

So while you may be sitting there expecting or spending a tax refund, remember that there are people out there who every day have to struggle with the decision to make an honest buck that doesn't stretch far enough or go on welfare - or worse, cheat.

Every experience I have is so enriching for me. You really do have to walk in someone's shoes ... and then you can write about it and still not be able to pay your enormous tax bill!

Which reminds me ... as someone else said to me on Friday, "It's the choice between being rich or being happy."

We non-traditional folk need help! And work ... but sometimes we can be happy being poor.

No comments: