Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Taffy pull

I was reading this post on Tom Salemi's blog, about the revival of Taffy's.

I wrote a story for this week's Current about Taffy's, but the photographer allegedly couldn't find the place so there's no photo ... and it probably won't run this week.

And after I harassed and maligned that poor man ... he's actually a really nice guy. I can see him in this setting - chatting with the diners while he flips pancakes and dishes up scrambled eggs.

I have faith in him after talking to him a grand total of 3 times.

Huh ... That's more than I've talked one-on-one with most of you.

Anyway, it's funny how people who have lived here a long time - the Townies, I guess - are excited about Taffy's being revived while the "blow-ins" are wondering what all the fuss is about.

And I'm not talking about my esteemed blogging colleague Mr. Salemi.

Gee whiz, I was going right along with Jim Noyes when he was talking about ripping down track lighting and reversing as much "enhancement" as possible.

My mother once observed, while standing in my apartment on Beacon Hill, how funny it was that I like "old, crummy" places. She wasn't trying to be mean, she was just making an observation in her inimitable way.

As I've said on here more than once, what attracted me to this city is that it is definitely old and was kind of "crummy" (no offense intended - remember, I like it).

So although I am a "blow-in," I'm not a fan of Mr. Karp and his plans for the waterfront, sub-divisions on Toppans Lane, condos next to and behind the Towle Building ... and so on and so forth.

And forget about places called "Petit Bijou." I put the link there, but there's nothing there yet to see.

That attitude I do believe earned me prime stool status at the counter in the new incarnation of Taffy's.

Useless information: Taffy (the candy) is such a big deal in Michigan, but I hardly ever see it out here. No big loss; I was never a fan of the stuff.

3 comments:

Sarah Swart said...

Seriously? Cape Ann is drowning in taffy.

Anonymous said...

The big question about the "new" Taffy's: will you be able to place bets there once again?

Gillian Swart said...

Ha ha, anonymous, that would be fun, wouldn't it? Then we could bring back the Middle Street Foods gang, who I hear were always in an 'altered state.'

Whoops, I guess I shouldn't be applauding illegal activities ... why is off-track betting illegal, anyway? People can enter what are essentially betting pools at work with impunity.