Friday, April 24, 2009

Dog evicted from West Newbury

I'll state right up front that I have no solution to offer to solve the problem of irresponsible dog owners.

According to the story in the Daily News, West Newbury has ordered a dog out of town because its owners can't or won't keep it contained.

Selectmen have ordered an American bulldog named Striker out of town after he was recently found roaming on Middle Street at night by the Animal Control officer.

The board also agreed to keep a $2,000 bond posted by owners Leo and Louisa Periera, 21 Montclair Road. The Perieras posted the bond as a condition for release of Striker from the pound in May 2008.


We've got a few situations like this out here. One of my neighbors lets their dog run all over all day and another lets their dog out at night, to roam ... and tear up everyone's trash bags every Sunday night.

Another dog, which I see everywhere, comes down the road from Newbury, which I don't believe has a leash law (Newburyport does).

Last summer I had this dog in my enclosed porch because I found her lying on my stoop looking forlorn. I called the animal control officer, who came out even though as I recall it was about 10:30 at night.

The dog did have a license, but it was years old. Fortunately, the dog officer (who has since resigned) knew where the pup came from and took her home.

This dog ran out into the street in front of my car the other day and to my near horror, I almost hit her. So obviously the owner doesn't give a hoot.

There are also a couple of beagles who seem to manage to escape every so often and run around all over the place.

Selectmen will insist the owners pay to have the dog licensed and vaccinated and provide information on where the dog will now reside. It is important to let officials from the new town know that this dog is moving into their community, Selectman Glenn Kemper said.

At a hearing in March 2008, selectmen ordered the Perieras to keep Striker leashed at all times and to put up a fence to contain the dog when outside, after a neighbor reported several incidences of the dog running loose on her property and behaving aggressively toward her and her horse.

When the dog was again found off leash in May, selectmen required the owners to post the $2,000 bond before the dog could be released from the pound.


People seem to want to punish the dogs, but it's the owners. I feel bad for this dog - but then, perhaps it will be happier somewhere else, with someone else.

But like I said at the top, I don't have a solution. If losing $2,000 doesn't do it, what will?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

And here is Newburyport with no Animal Control Officer? Staffing Problem or Financial Decision. I would think this a Public Safety Issue at the least. Hard to keep people when only your favorite positions (people) get the money.
how balanced is a lopsided budget where only some get the services, and everybody pays?

Tom Salemi said...

I don't see how that's right. If the dog isn't a threat to anyone else I'm surprised they have grounds for eviction.

Bubba said...

Perhaps a $10,000 bond is in order...

Anonymous said...

Dearest blogger Gillian,

I a humble landlord must spend thousands of dollars and much time to evict the filthy-living individual on the first floor of my otherwise trendily-addressed apartment building.

Yet the dog is evicted in what can only be supposed is a toot sweet manner. Of course the dog is an unclean animal as described in the Koran and therefore deserves eviction, even though I am educated 'Western Style' and am aware that the dog is a dog, yet it must be unclean as per Allah. This is the duality of thought that allows the true faithful to navigate through this trickiness of life.

Perhaps this is a clear demonstration that the word of Allah has reached the area and that the West Newbury is now trying to live in the right manner as prescribed by the Prophet? If only the authorities would do something about the strumpets and temptresses that haunt me.

- Mahatma Kote

Anonymous said...

newburyport may technically have a leash law, but if you go to any park in town you can see owners letting their pets of their leashes, some even walk their dogs on the streets with out a leash. the "law" is seldom, if ever, enforced.