Friday, April 17, 2009

Hello again

I have some comments on stories appearing in this week's Current - but since I don't think the paper is out yet and the website hasn't been updated yet, those will have to wait.

Meanwhile, remember when I posted this, about the Literary Festival and Earth Day? Ye olde conflicting events?

I got some private feedback and it seems there is some bruising ... so I did some reflecting.

And it seems to me that there is not a whole lot of communication and/or cooperation going on - not just in this matter, but in general.

I don't think it's necessarily deliberate, I think people just forge ahead and do whatever they want, in some semi-haphazard way.

Good grief, the Eco Collaborative (hosting Earth Day) didn't even get City Council permission to use Bartlet Mall for the flower market until last Monday ... what if someone had objected?

(Although I have to add that the letter from the Bartlet Mall Commission to the City Council was dated in early March, so I'm not sure who/what was being haphazard in this instance.)

Stepping on toes ... everyone is stepping on everyone else's toes.

And coming up later, on the same topic:

How is it that the City Council did not know, when approving outside seating for a certain restaurant, that the Licensing Commission had a couple of weeks before approved the place for serving alcohol at said outside seating?

And not only that, but the Licensing Commission, when approving the license, was under the impression that the place had already secured permission to have outside seating ...

Who's to blame for a party gone out of bounds?

2 comments:

Tom Salemi said...

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I thought the council did know. At least they know that one of the two places -- Oregano's and Upper Crust -- wouldn't be allowed to serve alcohol because I remember thinking, "Man, that's dumb. Why can't they serve alcohol."

Ah well, maybe there's more to the story.

Gillian Swart said...

Upper Crust can't, but Oregano can. Sorry I was being cryptic - Earls and O'Connor Ives at least did not know that Oregano got a license to serve outside.

And there's nothing wrong with being argumentative - just ask Bubba ...