Monday, February 2, 2009

What did you think of the Superbowl? No, not the game, silly!

What did you guys think of the Superbowl? I mean the ads, not the actual game! Nobody cares about the game ...

I was in Gloucester, in front of a giant hi def TV that could probably be seen from space, if it were outside. You could see every crater on every face, every bead of sweat dripping from a player's nose ... every detail of Springsteen's crotch.

What's with those pants he had on? We concluded that they were made of some material that would only stretch just so far, thus allowing him to bend backwards from his knees and still be able to stand up again (albeit ever so slowly).

Glory days indeed.

But I digress.

I left Gloucester to go home shortly after halftime, so I guess I missed some good commercials ... and some good game, from what I can tell, but that's not the point.

According to this piece from the New York Times, this year's Superbowl ads "pushed our usual (well-worn) buttons."

Since I don't tend to retain ads from every Superbowl ever televised,* as does Stuart Elliott, apparently, I have no complaints. I was vaguely impressed with the 3-D effects in the ad for the Disney movie (some of the elements appeared to be right in the room, in front of me) and I recall some guy getting hit by a bus.

I am still smiling about the one with the moose's ass; but although I know it had to be for some career-oriented company, I can't remember which one it was. I also liked the one with Conan O'Brien, but was offended by some others (they are gone already from my recollection).

But I missed the mother lode, I guess, when I missed Alec Baldwin in a HULU ad. What the hell is HULU? Oh, OK.

*I can't even say how many Superbowls I've watched, or who was in them, fer cryin' out loud.

No comments: