Saturday, February 14, 2009

10 AM and all is well ... so far

It appears as if removing Norton Antivirus and installing the McAfee Suite has worked ... but I did disconnect my laptop from the cable connection overnight.

I noticed last night that something had during the day turned off my Windows Defender, but it is still on, as of now.

Early this morning, as I was still fretting, I did a little research and read about a virus that disguises itself as a Windows update, but I do not see that file on my laptop and anyway, it said McAfee was particularly effective at stopping it in its tracks.

From the history on Defender, I see it stopped a Trojan virus back on Feb. 2, which is I think when I had all those fake popups about security.

There is something going on here, though, and neither Microsoft nor Windows will 'fess up to it.

I have now instructed Vista to never automatically download any updates w/out my prior approval (like I could tell it was something naughty).

That's all for now, except ...

#11 on the list of "Random Things About Me:"

I used to know alot about computers and software, but I feel like I don't anymore. Still, I can usually resolve problems on my own.

No comments: