Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hey, he's now 'The Decider!'

When was the last time you heard a President of these United States say, "I think I screwed up?"

Never, I would guess.

It's actually kind of alarming to me because it's not the usual crapola ... and the words used, too! I mean, I can relate ... but what will he say next? "I'm pissed off?"

I can't understand what's wrong with saying "pissed off," but I once said it in my boss' office and he told me not to use language like that in his office. And recently someone apologized for saying it to me, about someone else.

On TV the other day, I also heard that people entering into the President's immediate vicinity don't necessarily have to be wearing a suit, which is also not the way it was BBO (before Barack Obama).

Ah, here's a report (on a blog), from the LA Times, on this very subject. It's from today's edition. Geesh, I heard this over the weekend ... anyway:

Barack Obama is shaking things up by challenging the supremacy of the business suit in the one town in America where a suit still equals power. According to several reports, casual Friday style is becoming everyday style in the Obama White House, with the president encouraging staffers to take off their jackets, even in the Oval Office. (Lord knows they have enough work to do; they need to get comfortable and roll up their sleeves, even though that won't do much to help suit sales.)

I'm all for casual ... but didn't I hear once that Lyndon Johnson used to conduct meetings while he was sitting on the commode?

The blogger, Booth Moore,* asks at the end of the post if this is appropriate for the White House (the non-suits, not the sitting on the crapper - although if we're talking appropriate and/or disrespectful to the office ...). Of course, one is told to ask a question at the end of a blog post because people will feel compelled to answer the question.

So far, that has not worked on here.

And what exactly is "appropriate for the White House?" Are there rules? If so, I want to know what they are! Was taping conversations about illegal wiretapping "appropriate?" Or do the rules only apply to fashion? Are fuzzy slippers allowed?

Hey, [insert name of Obama family member here], take off those inappropriate Ojamas this instant!

*Booth Moore is editor of the Image section and the Times' chief fashion critic. She covers the runway shows in New York, Milan, Paris and Los Angeles.

Oh well, that explains it. She's an expert.

I hate fashion ... and I'm not talking the Bowie song (that I like).

No comments: