Friday, February 27, 2009

Food fish flakes

Do you like big flake fish, or small flake fish?

I have to admit, I prefer white fish that flake easily to all other types (with one exception), but I never really made the distinction between big flakes and little flakes ...

So yesterday morning, I was with both my sisters in Gloucester (sister who lives there has a hot tub) and one of them was going to Connelly's, a fish emporium on the Gloucester docks.

I requested that she purchase me a hunk of cod. This ignited a prolonged discussion of cod vs. flounder vs. that fish I really like ... it's on the tip of my tongue ... oh yeah, haddock!

So now having said that, same sister and I later went to purchase cole slaw and fries at Turner's in Gloucester ... and my sister pointed to the tuna on display in the case.

"Yeah, that's sushi grade," said the clerk.

There was this one little piece of tuna sitting there, so I grabbed it up. $3 and some change and I had me some nice sashimi with the lobster lunch we enjoyed at my mom's yesterday ... I love it when we get visitors from Michigan - they love to splurge on local seafood.

I crave tuna, but only when it's raw, or mostly raw.

And speaking of which, I'm meeting a friend for lunch at Hana Japan in just a little while from now ... my mouth is already watering.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I brought it up to Victor tonight: Is cusk big flake, or little flake? It doesn't matter so much, is the ultimate response, because we are both indifferent to cusk. But where cod is concerned, he loves it, and I do not.

Anonymous said...

Also, the fish emporium is CONNOLLY's, not Connelly's... see here:
http://www.steveconnollyseafood.com/

Gillian Swart said...

Yes, I noticed I had misspelled it when I pulled the bag with the cod in it out of the fridge. I was too lazy to go back and fix it (although I had tried to look it up online while writing the post).