Monday, February 9, 2009

Filling restaurants

I was just now reading this letter, published in the Globe (North) last Thursday.

The writer, who is from Beverly, discusses how restaurants need to reduce the price of appetizers, entrees and desserts as well as reducing portions.

I couldn't help but think of the two small restaurants here in Newburyport: Kindred Spirits Kitchen, which (allegedly) is in trouble, and Park Lunch, which is thriving. They are both on the same stretch of Merrimac St.

And no, I did not forget to link to Park Lunch's website - it does not have a website.

The last time I was at Park Lunch for lunch, there was a line. My luncheon companion commented to the owner, Mike Doyle, that the place is an anomaly in that it just does not have to advertise.

There is, however, a whole slew of reviews of the place online. Just Google the joint.

Park Lunch does not pretend to be anything other than a plain, simple place to get plain, simple food at a pretty good price. There are no fancy sandwiches, no exotic entrees and no espresso.

There are also a lot of older people, and one has to wonder how it will fare as the older people pass into the big Newburyport on another astral plain ...

I still have not been to Kindred Spirits. But look, here are some of the sandwiches they offer:

Buttress Beef - $6.99 on a Sub roll $7.49- Boar’s Head roast beef, Swiss cheese, leaf lettuce, roasted red peppers, Spanish onion, and our horseradish house dressing.

The Roasted Pilgrim - $6.49 on a Sub roll $6.99- - Boar’s Head Black Forest turkey, American cheese, leaf lettuce, top with Kindred’s cranberry spread and the Mayflower just landed in Newburyport!

The Kicking Pig -$6.49 on a Sub roll $6.99- - Boar’s Head Black Forest ham, Swiss, lettuce, tomato, Chardonnay JalapeƱo mustard, there’s a kick.

Those prices are pretty easy on the pocketbook! (I'm not overly fond of sandwiches, unless my mother made them. I don't know exactly why, but her sandwiches are exceptionally delicious!)

As for a 'fancy' dinner, I like the fact that 10 Center Street does - or did last time I was there - offer reduced portion entrees. I don't really want to have to take food home with me, but I also don't want to leave it behind - or worse, feel the need to eat it all.

I know I've done this before, but it bears repeating; so here are restaurants I like for quality and price, in the Newburyport area:

Andaman (The Tannery Mall)
Starboard Galley (another place that has the rep of being only for "old people")
Bob Lobster (PI Turnpike) - limited menu of mostly fried seafood, but best fish & chips around, as far as I'm concerned. The lobsters are also tender and sweet.
Mapow sushi-Thai restaurant just over the bridge in Salisbury - I haven't tried their sushi yet, but the Pad Thia is exceptional.

But of course, my all-time favorite place for sushi in Newburyport is:

HANA JAPAN (Port Plaza)
I was there a couple of weeks ago for lunch, and the sushi was still great. The owner/sushi chef also gave us free dessert because ... I love the place and I say so. Regularly. Sadly, I don't go there regularly.

And can I put in a word for Mr. India, also on Merrimac St.?

Over and out.

#4 (?) on list of "Random Things About Me:"

I love sushi - and lobsters - and Thai food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left Nick's Pizza off your list which is on that same stretch of Merrimac Street? .... Any reason they don't make the cut?

Gillian Swart said...

I've never eaten anything from there ... sorry. I hear they're really good, though. I'm not a big fan of pizza.