Friday, February 13, 2009

Landfill story

I don't know when today's edition of the Current will be online - it seems as if it's being posted on Saturdays - but there is something about the landfill in there.

I'd like to add to the story my personal opinion that the mayor will be doing the City Council a big favor, so to speak, if he goes ahead with an administrative order.

Then the Council can say, "It was taken out of our hands, and we'd have to sue the city to stop it, and we can't afford that."

Also, I will note that David Chatfield (the subject of today's story) is not the only person who told me that the idea for an administrative order to circumvent the City Council came from the New Ventures attorney.

The other person noted that at least it was free legal advice ...

There is so much more that I couldn't put in the story (the piece was edited down as it is), but I think it behooves us all to pay close attention to what is going on here.

You may not be interested in the landfill, or think that the neighbors are merely whiners, but this whole secret meetings with New Ventures and DEP, and taking advice from its attorney when the city has pending cease and desist orders and and counter suits and complaints against the very same New Ventures, in my mind is .... well, you fill in an appropriate term.

I'll post more later about that last Citizens Ad Hoc Landfill Advisory Committee meeting. It was wild and wooly (although I was told it was nothing compared to some previous meetings).

No comments: