Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I guess we are not ready for digital

Thank you, anonymous reader, for pointing out that the switch to digital TV broadcasts has been delayed. I've been on deadline and am only just now catching up with my news.

That's a cute head: "Rabbit ears get reprieve."

The House, by a vote of 264 to 158, passed a Senate bill that would reset the death of analog TV to June 12, a measure President Barack Obama is expected to sign.

An estimated 6.5 million homes -- including many elderly, poor and disabled Americans -- would lose TV service after February 17 without the delay, supporters argued.


I hope the government can come up with the money to help out those elderly, poor and disabled, because I don't know how, if they can't afford it now they're going to afford it later - but I applaud the House for passing the measure and giving it a shot.

It's amazing to me that, when I was a kid, TV reception was free. Now I get a bill I can't really afford every month for TV that's mostly only mildly entertaining, or something I've seen 4 times already!

But perhaps I should not complain. I know my relatives in England at least had to in the recent past pay a hefty fee for their TV programs. And up until a few years ago, it was all government owned!

#3 on the list of 25 things about me (or whatever I call it):

I spend way too much money on stuff that gives me little pleasure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unaffected by the change? Bull. I lost my cable (I'm in an apt complex, so I shouldn't have a problem) now it won't let me reset my my cable box.

chiparip said...

Who cares??? TV going away completely would be the best thing to ever happen to the American family.

Gillian Swart said...

Anonymous, I feel your pain. Sounds like Comcast ...

Stingray, I can't argue with that sentiment.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The title about rabbit ears being extended MAKES NO SENSE. I own a digital TV and am currently using rabbit ears to get my high definition channels. RABBIT EARS CAPTURE DIGITAL CABLE just like they have captured analog for years. Even if you have an old analog set and get the converter box, you are still using rabbit ears. So I don't understand why the title is about rabbit ears being extended, because rabbits and digital go together too.

Gillian Swart said...

Thanks, Mark. Tis true. I suspect since I've since found several headlines referencing rabbit ears, that it was just too good to resist.

Read more about rabbit ears and digital here: http://wbaldt.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/q-a-rabbit-ears-and-digital-tv/

Anonymous said...

oh sweet, thanks! hey that link brings up a sad point. some areas, in fact many areas, will not be able to receive a strong enough signal for rabbit ears to work! their only option will pretty much be satellite service. and who can afford that! especially if you have had to cut back on expenses, which is why they are probably relying on rabbit ears in the first place.

sucks. i hate the switch. i wish we could just broadcast both analog and digital signals and tell ATT and Sprint to keep their billions as well as their hands off our public airways.