Saturday, February 14, 2009

Warning! Danger! (Part 2)

I have spent the better part of the last 2 hours trying to resolve my ongoing problems with Windows Vista and Norton Antivirus. This is after I spent about an hour with Microsoft this morning (which I already wrote about).

I have no idea what's going on, but I ended up uninstalling Norton and installing the McAfee that Comcast offers free with its digital service.

The service tech at Symantec toldme it was my fault if I had a virus and that I would have to pay $99 to resolve my problems. I told him (very loudly) that I PAY for a subscription and that that's what I PAY them for.

I still believe that I got the virus through downloading either real or fake Windows updates that appeared on my Start menu. Microsoft as much as admitted this, as the email I received after talking to Microsoft states:

Here is a summary of the key points of the case for your records:

ACTION:
general computer usage
RESULT: norton has been disabled
CAUSE: possibly caused by an update
RESOLUTION: ran system restore (Feb 8, 2009)
Obviously the system restore did not resolve the problem.

No comments: