Friday, February 27, 2009

Turbines and light shows and erections

Wow, there is sooo much going on in the city right now, my head is spinning ...

Here's my today's story in the Current, about the wind turbine.

I paused last night while driving near the turbine (on a side street) to watch again the red FAA-required beacon light shooting off the blades of the turbine. It wasn't as spectacular last night as it was Tuesday night, but maybe it was the different angle.

Someone also told me yesterday that it gives an amazing light show when the sun is setting, which prompted another person to prattle on about packing up some illegal substances and settling down near the turbine for a night of free entertainment ...

I also heard (and read) there was a multiple-car pileup at the intersection of Rte. 1 and Low St., but right now it does not seem to have been turbine-related.

If it was somewhere that was not affecting a neighborhood the way it is, I'd say it was a really good thing, a really good idea and very entertaining.

I also heard (pure rumor this is) that Mark Richey refers to the turbine using three words, two of which are "my" and "erection." (I can't recall the third - you'd think I'd remember, but I don't! It was just an adjective anyway.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and the Back Bay Neighborhood Got Screwed.

Mary said...

Wow, I feel for those Back Bay residents. It seems like a great ecological idea, however, the effect of flickering light in my peripheral vision would drive me insane. I hate that when I'm driving, so it could only be worse when you're trying to sleep.

Good piece, by the way. :)