Thursday, February 5, 2009

Baby it's cold outside!

I was muttering yesterday when Eastern Propane showed up to top off my tank ... I haven't even paid the bill for the last fill-up yet (it's not due for a couple of weeks).

But now that it's so friggin' cold and since there's a brisk breeze the heat is coming on every 5 minutes, I see that they know their stuff!

It's not as cold as it is in Michigan, but boy am I glad my pipes didn't freeze overnight - I forgot to leave a faucet dripping. I already has one such 'incident' this winter.

Yet another delightful part of living (in the winter) in a converted summer "camp" on an island ... in the summer, it really is delightful.

Speaking of Plum Island and freezing, there's this story in today's Daily News. (There will be something similar -not quite as extensive, but with slightly different info - in tomorrow's Current.)

So far I have not suffered from this problem (valves freezing open in the new vacuum sewer system), but we don't have that many homes on this street and I guess we have warmer waste (not to trivialize the situation, which sounds pretty foul).

A lot of people out here are up ... well, you know. They're mad as hell, too.

No comments: