Monday, February 9, 2009

I re-assess Facebook

The other day my cousin in England posted to her son's Facebook:

"James, answer your phone pleeeease!"

James replied (also on Facebook): "Oh, sorry."

I'm paraphrasing, but I thought it was pretty funny ...

As someone else the other day pointed out to me, Facebook seems to cement relationships. And I think it has done so to some extent for me:

I have become quite "chatty" on FB with a friend of my sister's who I barely knew or interacted with in random social situations at my sister's house. The sister in question (the one who lives in Malden) does not have a Facebook, but she thought it was pretty funny when I told her how much I was chatting with her friend.

I also exchange regular back-and-forth comments with my other cousin (brother of aforementioned cousin), who I rarely see and with whom I had absolutely no interaction prior to Facebook.

What have I taken from this?

One, that family is family, and my cousin and I carry on as if we'd grown up together. Of course, we also did that when we saw one another a year ago ... but I did not realize before how funny he is, having only seen him for about 2 hrs. total last year and before that he was "only a kid."

(But I do recally being at a pub, in England, with him and his father - my uncle, of course - on my last visit, and my saying something quite unexpected that caused him to inhale some of the lager he was slurping.)

And two, that my sister's friend, who I largely ignored at Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's house - although she was sitting in close proximity to me - and I are pretty compatible. But I should have realized that before, by the fact that she's my sister's friend and my sister and I are a lot alike.

But there is the down side (I always have to include a down side) -

I read with interest this post that Ari Herzog pointed me to, on his blog. The author, David Mullen, writes:

It happened Sunday night around 8:30. We had two friends over to watch the Super Bowl. I had my laptop out and was rating Super Bowl commercials in real time with other people on Twitter. After the 10th or 11th commercial, though, I realized that I was so interested in the social aspect of sharing an experience online with thousands of others that I was neglecting the people actually sitting beside me in the same room.


It never occurred to me to go on Twitter or Facebook while watching the Super Bowl, but I was with actual people - and I have to say, I did go on Facebook immediately after the Super Bowl ended (I left where I was watching it for home shortly after half-time).

I see an awful lot of posts on FB and Twitter (when I go on there at all) along the lines of, "I'm at such-and-such restaurant" - or, more disturbing, "I'm driving home ..."

But - yikes! - in the end, I've spent a lot of time recently on here, posting about Facebook ... and perhaps people will think I'll blare what they wrote on Facebook on here ... but I try to relate only innocuous things, and without saying who said them ... having said that, if anyone has a problem with it, please let me know!

By the way, here is an interesting post: What Facebook Fan Pages Taught Me About Relationships, by Chris Brogan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be at tonight's City Council meeting. There may be some moments when you'll see me whip out my BlackBerry and type on the keypad. Some of my typing will be the electronic MemoPad application; and some may be live-tweeting the meeting.

Of course, only I will know which I'm doing. *snicker* Or you, if you're watching my twitter stream @ariherzog.