Monday, June 1, 2009

Woo doggies

I was reading this story in Saturday's Daily News - front page news, by the way - in which it states that Ward 4 Councillor Ed Cameron is running for mayor against Mayor John Moak (if Moak decides to run, that is).

OK ... well from what I understand, city reporter Katie Farrell is on vacation and I guess they handed this over to Katie Curley ... and I'm not blaming KC for the misleading nature of this story because someone had to have edited it.

City Councilor Ed Cameron said he will run for mayor, the first person to pull papers as of yesterday afternoon.

As Cameron (and I, quoting Cameron's blog) has said, he will run if Moak does not. And did not Moak himself pull papers, in January?


City Clerk Richard Jones confirmed Cameron is so far the only person to have pulled papers for the mayoral race. Cameron also took out papers for re-election as Ward 4 councilor-at-large.

For those of you who don't know this stuff, there are six ward councillors (currently McCavitt, Earls, Shanley, Cameron, Derrivan and O'Brien) and five councillors-at-large (currently Connell, Holaday, Hutcheson, Jones and O'Connor Ives).

Cameron has written that he took out nomination papers for mayor, for re-election as Ward 4 councillor and for councillor-at-large. He's more of the latter, actually, having been involved in the senior citizens center planned for insertion into Ward 3.

In any case, none of the various councillors who have stated their intentions either by voice or by pulling papers - the latter at this point only Cameron and Holaday - none seems inclined to run against Moak.

I've already written about that.

What we need is someone who IS willing to run against Moak. Not because I'm against Moak; that's just the way it should be, right?

7 comments:

Thomas F. Ryan said...

Right on, Gillian.

Never understood candidates who don't have the gumption to run for a seat because they believe they are the right person for the job and simply not because they think they can win.

Kind of like saying, "I'll take you to the prom...if you don't get any better offers."

ECC said...

Hi Gillian,

By the way Shanley wears the khaki hat not me. I tend towards Red Sox caps.

You are correct in that the Daily News story was a little 'off.'

I've sent them a letter to the editor. 1) I said I MAY run for Mayor not I WILL run for Mayor. 2) There is no such thing as Ward 4 at-large councilor.

Mr. Ryan, tell Atticus I said hello...unless you've taught him to read.

Ed

Gillian Swart said...

You're right, Ed. I even have photos to prove it (you in Red Sox cap and James in some type of khaki hat with flaps and strings). It was just too good a headline. Of course, now I can't use it for James ... damn, foiled myself again ...

Tom Salemi said...

Daily News Defender Man has nothing.

---

As for the declaring, I can understand the holding off.

"Tossing his/her hat" in the ring sounds so easy, but these obviously involve a lot of time and expense.

Makes sense to pursue the most optimal situation. That said, I too want to see a race.

Lastly, I hold the copyright on khakis as they pertain to Newburyport. Please send me a check for $.013.

Thomas F. Ryan said...

Hi Ed. No, Atticus can't read, why do you think I had so many proof reading errors in The 'Toad.

Oh...what's that?

Ed, Atticus says that if he actually knew what you were running for he might vote for you.

Gillian Swart said...

Tom R, Is he still a legal resident in the city?

And Tom S, I see your point. But why let whether Moak runs be the determining factor? He said right there in the DN that he doesn't care who runs against him ... funny he didn't know about the "I MAY run, if Moak doesn't part."

Thomas F. Ryan said...

A resident of the city, Gillian? Are you kidding me? A few elections back we had a candidate for mayor nearly get in even though he resided mostly in Rye, NH. So if a candidate can run from another state, why can't we sneak into vote?

In all honesty, even though I know of several examples of people moving away from Newburyport who continued to vote absentee, I gave up my right to vote there a year and a half ago.