Saturday, June 6, 2009

Shrewd move?

I remarked to someone a few months ago that one does not necessarily know the party affiliation of our elected officials, since party affiliation does not enter into the election process here in Newburyport (which I think is kind of odd).

But according to the local blog, Newburyport's Voice, Steve Hutcheson, at-large councillor running for re-election, has registered as a Republican.

Newburyport's newest Registered Republican, City Councilor Steven Hutcheson.

Councilor Hutcheson changed his political affilation (sic) from Unenrolled to Republican this past week.

When asked about his change he wrote by email that "he has felt the Fiscal Conservative agenda of the Republican Party was more in line with his personal beliefs."

The Newburyport Republican Party welcomes Councilor Hutcheson with open arms.
Of course, we know (or should know) that Ed Cameron is a Dem since he's the chairman of the Newburyport Dems.

And I'm going to assume that Barry Connell, Greg Earls, Donna Holaday and James Shanley are also Dems since they were at the rally celebrating Pres. Obama's first 100 days in office.

And further, since one of the above-mentioned people remarked, "I'm surprised Brian isn't here," I guess we can surmise the political affiliation of the Ward 5 councillor.

I would be surprised if this move by Hutcheson was not at least somewhat related to his running for office.

But does it matter?

I would be surprised if it does not.

5 comments:

Dick Monahan said...

What?

Gillian Swart said...

Why what?

Gillian Swart said...

Poetic license, you know?

Anonymous said...

Shanley is absent from the list and so is Jones.

Dick Monahan said...

My one-word comment above did not apply to this post. I know that because I had never read this post before right now. Of course, I don't remember what post it did apply to. :-)