Saturday, June 6, 2009

At least he's being 'transparent'

I've heard a lot of mostly good-natured joshing about Ed Cameron pulling nomination papers for three different positions - Ward 4 councillor, councillor-at-large and mayor.


Although I think it's somewhat odd for someone to want to be mayor, but only if he doesn't have to run against the current mayor, at least he's put it out there.

And I think it's really odd that Mayor John Moak has not officially declared his intentions (way back in January he announced he would run for a third term but has yet to pull nomination papers).

So all these people in limbo ... and as Tom Salemi says, "What exactly is he waiting for."


Also - if I lived in Ward 3 right about now, I'd be a little concerned. This is nothing against James Shanley (the ward councillor who's apparently waiting on Moak) - but I'd be a little worried that no one else has stepped into the building void.


I know - it's still early - and I keep hearing that people wait until the last minute because they are trying to figure out if they can win or not ... but gee whiz, I think people want to hear from the mayor.


Moak knows whether he wants to be mayor again or not; Shanley, O'Connor Ives, Connell and Jones know what they want to do as well.


Why not just declare themselves as 'yeah' or 'nah, I've had enough?' Can we assume they will all make a bid for mayor, should Moak not run?

I wonder what happens if only 4 people run for the 5 at-large seats? Nah, that wouldn't happen ... someone would step up at the last moment, knowing they would be a shoo-in.

4 comments:

Tom Salemi said...

If only four people pull papers for the at-large seat I will run a stealth write in campaign so I can sneak in their.

Please don't tell anyone.

Gillian Swart said...

My lips are sealed.

Anonymous said...

If any of you had lived in this city more than 2 minutes, you'd know there's a long tradition of folks pulling papers in the last minute. Calm down, it's early in the election season. A lot can happen. You're just anxious because you're running out of things to write and talk about on your blogs.

Gillian Swart said...

Anon, why does everything always have to come down to how long someone has lived here (which has nothing to do with whether we have things to write about)?

And did I not say, "I know - it's still early -?"