Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I said it!

I've been so busy this morning, doing important stuff such as looking up the term "straw man" to make sure I understood the term.

Once I'd done that, I took a peek at a CNN.com video, in which Miami-Dade judge Lawrence A. Schwartz was issuing some determination to rapper DMX. It apparently was not what the rapper wanted to hear, because as he turned away, he muttered something that included the word "fuck."

"OH, well that just ingratiated you to me," Schwartz commented back, adding that it's not like he hasn't heard that word before. I liked the judge's attitude.

But more importantly, the headline on the CNN.com front page said, "Rapper drops the F-bomb in courtroom."

I was discussing this very thing with my sister and her immediate family just yesterday. That is, in a couple of years we will be out of letters of the alphabet to signify words that are taboo.

Soon we'll have to double up, as in: "Rapper drops the F(superscript 1)-bomb in courtroom."

Some letters that are already taken as verboten?

A and B: "asshole/a-hole" and "bitch," unless one is referring to a female dog.

C-word stands for a very bad word referring to a part of the female anatomy, unless you're a man using it as a unit of measure, to other men (one presumes)

D and E are clear?

We already know about F

G(od) is iffy

H(ell) ... well, no one I know refers to it as "the h-word"

I, J, K, L, and M are OK for now?

The "N-word" is the worst of the worst

O is free, but

P(issed) is still considered bad by some people's standards (I was once told never to say it again)

Q ... well, what begins with 'Q,' after all?

R now is taken because of the word "retard"

S(hit) used to be bad, but now seems to have entered the popular mainstream

And so on ...

OK, well, it's not as bad as it seems to be, at first glance. But it's getting there.

Some words that have been appropriated as slurs:

Ass (as in, the animal)
Bastard (you could argue that this was always a slur)
Bitch
Dillweed
Freak
Goon
Jerk
Lump
Er ... ummmm ... I'm not up on my slurs, I guess.

"Yahoo," on the other hand, has gone from being a slur to a pretty respectable level, as has "geek."

** Joke Alert **

Well, some would say, fuck you all - all you bitches and bastards who are nothing but dillweeds and freaks, jerks and goons and big old lumps for reading this instead of doing something productive.

** End of Joke Alert **

Thanks for reading, mutter, mutter ...

No comments: