Monday, August 4, 2008

Don't rain on MY parade

Oh *yawn* it's 11:15 a.m., and there's nothing good upon which to comment.

This blogging thing is starting to wear on me.

So ... I guess I'll comment on an issue that has raised a few hackles over on the Daily News website: chairs set out well in advance of the Yankee Homecoming ending parade.

I noticed this the other day as I was spinning along High St., in the Jetta. I thought, "Wow, that's really early for trash collection," which on PI is Monday morning.

It looks crappy, especially considering the aesthetic nature of historic High St.

One person who comments on the letter says that the chairs are set out for elderly/handicapped people. I'm all for everyone being able to view the parade, if they so desire.

But remember the days when people saw an elderly person, or a child, struggling to see a parade, and they let them through to the front? Helped them carry chairs, helped get them settled in?

Whatever the offenses to personal taste and aesthetics, apparently it is not illegal to put furniture along a street for days and even tie a string of chairs together with rope.

It's ugly, but I guess it's necessary.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, was curious about how early the chairs were put out. A neighbor told me that one year - I'm not sure when - the chairs were all taken during a nighttime prank and all piled in a location somewhere else. I know if my chair were among those stolen, I'd be pretty grumpy about it, but it was funny to hear about!

Anonymous said...

1. It's about time you wrote something. With you and Salemi taking weekends off, I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

2. I read an article about a cul de sac in which everyone lit up their houses for Xmas. The last one lit had to host dinner for all. One year, one couple came back from a Labor Day weekend trip to find all the other houses decorated. Maybe I'll go tie a chair to a tree this afternoon.

Gillian Swart said...

Mary, thanks for passing that anecodote along! I wonder if they were able to match up the chairs with the owners, eventually?

Dick, #1 - sorry 'bout that, and #2 - thanks for another great anecdote. I wonder what would happen if you (or anyone) actually did that?

Anonymous said...

Some years ago, a group of friends would pile into a car in early December and make a "Tacky Tinsel Tour". They would visit the tackiest lit-up houses they could find in the Greater Boston area.

Gillian Swart said...

Did you find those ones in Saugus, or whatever the city is there on the Fellsway? Gotta be the tackiest EVER!

Ari, trust me, you wouldn't want to get involved in these types of arrangements! It can be brutal (Haven't you seen the movies?!)