Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Winthrop chooses another

Mayor John Moak said this evening that he heard this afternoon that he did not get the job in Winthrop.

Jim McKenna, who worked with former Gloucester mayor John Bell among other relevant work, was the candidate of choice, Moak said.

"I'm pleased that I got that far through the process," Moak told me, adding that is was "an intriguing situation."

Moak was one of three finalists, along with McKenna and Swampscott town administrator Andrew Maylor, who I believe is from Winthrop. The three were recommended from a field of about 40 candidates.

So there you go.

4 comments:

ECC said...

Gillian,

It's official. You beat the Daily News to the punch. Their updated news as of 10:53PM Tuesday is some inconsequential trivia about Obama nominating a SC Justice.

You scooped'em on the Winthrop news....

Gillian Swart said...

Ed,

I kind of thought that Katie had "called it in," in the style of an old-time reporter - only using her cell phone. I really expected when I got home to see the yellow banner across the DN's home page announcing the news.

At least the six of you know, if all six of you check at night, that is.

Anonymous said...

Gillian--
Will you please ask the mayor if he is going to look for another job, or will commit to serving his full term if elected? It's a fair question, but no one seems willing to ask. The voters need to know.

Gillian Swart said...

Anon,

The mayor also said to me that he "needs time to process" the situation. (I didn't put that on here but put it in piece I sent to the Current).

I do not think the mayor is going to continue his bid for a third term - or at least he's thinking about not doing it. (Ditto about the Current.)

But sure, I'll ask! Or I'll try, at any rate ... this Current thing is getting in the way of my unpaid reporting!