Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Now I feel better

I was reading this post from a new blog I'm following called Words on the Page. The author of the blog is the person who started Writers Worth Day (you know, the day on which all I did was bicker with people for who/whom I produce copy).

This is the opening sentence:
Have you ever come across someone whose appeal is instant, whose manner is so easy or so charming that you can't help but want to know them?


Well, Lori Widmer, I have to say "Yes! Yes I did, just last month!"

She is talking about a client, but I met someone like that socially. As she says, it has nothing to do with looks or sex appeal.



It has to do with people wanting to be around that person because he makes them feel good - special - to be part of his world.
Yes, Lori Widmer, yes! I thought I was being weird about this guy because that's how he made me feel. And I wrote to him and told him so ... (btw, this isn't about dating, this is about interpersonal relationships and that whole Townie thing).

Jerk me back to reality when upon second meeting, this person told me he thought this one was better than the first. Wow, you know? There probably wouldn't have been a second one if I hadn't felt that way about the first one.

I guess the comfort level wasn't mutual. But what I was looking for - and what I got - was a Townie who made me feel totally okay about not being one myself and who made me part of his world.

"Stop in anytime," he said.

Like the man described by Lori, he started out putting me at ease by saying he found my multi-locale background interesting. Those were practically the first words out of his mouth.

Whatever he thought/thinks of me (he never replied to my message), it was still special. And as Lori notes, you want to do extra nice stuff for the "catnip" person, when you meet one.

No comments: