Friday, May 8, 2009

I need a job

I'm going to be totally frank here and say that I need some gainful employment.

I know it's highly unusual for me to be so frank and personal (kidding), but there you go ... the Current is cutting back on freelancing funds so I won't be contributing as much to the paper as I have been.

Of course I don't like it (just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water) but that's business and in particular, that's the newspaper business.

Suck 'em in and spit 'em out.

You'd think by now that Community Newspaper Co. would have realized that businesses in NBPT don't do advertising and if they do, they do it in the Daily News.

But as we can all see from the Globe fiasco, newspapers are not all that good at looking forward and adjusting to the changing times (no pun intended).

I have to wonder at the New York Times even biting off that piece of pie that is the Globe in the first place ... and conversely, wonder at CNC launching a glossy magazine right now.

Was this country much better off when small businesses were small businesses and not part of some mega-conglomerate?

I don't know! That's why I'm asking you.

Anyway, if you hear of anything, please let me know. I have experience in light bookkeeping (using QuickBooks), project management, acquiring "toys" for rich people and of course writing and editing.

au revoir

3 comments:

Pedro said...

Run for Mayor ;)

Pedro said...

Or do you NEED more than $65,000.00 per year?

Gillian Swart said...

I'd be happy with that. But not the aggravation. As if ...