Saturday, May 16, 2009

Welcome "weisure" time

I'm bored so I started surfing the net - and I found this on CNN.com.

The line dividing work and leisure time is blurring right before our eyes, says one expert, and it's creating a phenomenon called "weisure time."
Oh, so that explains people checking their Blackberries while gardening, for example.

I would suggest that a reporter has always been in "weisure time."

I mean - it's hard for me to ignore interesting/intriguing things that people say in social situations.

For example, while breakfasting at Plum Crazy the other day, someone happened to mention that someone they knew contracted to have truckloads of sand dumped on the beach in front of their home on Plum Island.

"Good thing there isn't a reporter around to hear that," I commented.

The person went into panic mode.

I'm trying to make at least my gardening experience at the collaborative gardens a "no news" zone. As in, if I happen to see a certain city councillor there tending his garden, I won't grill him about landfill deals and waterfront issues.

But people are still tempted to preface comments made in my presence with the words "off the record."

As I said today, "I won't report anything I hear here - unless it's something interesting, of course."

No comments: