Friday, May 22, 2009

Burn notice

A recent comment has compelled me to further expand on Council President James Shanley and his appointment to the Newburyport Redevelopment Authority, or NRA as it is mysteriously known here:

From what I understand (or my own knowledge of events), Mayor Moak suggested James Shanley to the Governor as his (Gov's) appointee on the NRA after (Ward 4 City Councillor) Erford Fowler stepped down from the board when his term expired, in 2008.

As a quasi-governmental board and a vestige of urban renewal, the Governor gets to appoint one member to the NRA. The mayor appoints the rest.

And from Shanley:

John Moak called me and asked if I would be willing to serve on the NRA, filling in for Erford Fowler, who was the Governor's Appointee during the Romney administration. When Erford's term expired, it was highly unlikely that the Patrick administration would appoint a life long Republican.

I didn't seek the appointment nor install myself has Mr. Ryan has implied. I had to give the appointment a lot of thought, as its yet another responsibility on top of all the other things I have going. The first person I discussed this with was my wife Karen, as further involvement in city life would have a direct impact on her and our business. She was supportive. My next conversation was with the State Ethics Commission, who cleared my being both on the Council and on the NRA.

Here's a bit from the Daily News (May 12, 2008) that also might be helpful:

It has been more than a month — since March 31 — since Erford Fowler's term on the Newburyport Redevelopment Authority officially ended.

But the former city councilor is still serving in the position since Gov. Deval Patrick, who is charged with making the next appointment to the NRA, has yet to do so. According to a spokeswoman for the governor, there is no appointee, no short list and no time line for a new appointment to the board ...

Fowler, who was also a long-time city councilor, could not be reached for comment.

And neither could Nat Norton, the chairman of the NRA, so it remains unclear if there is any worry about Patrick's delay in making a decision.

Mayor John Moak, who along with Rep. Michael Costello, D-Newburyport, both are endorsing James Shanley, president of the City Council to the position.

But in the meantime, Moak said he is fine with Fowler still serving.

"He is still there and he has done a great job," Moak said of the former Ward 4 councilor. "I think he's brought a lot of the open meeting law aspects (to the NRA). I have no concerns" about his continued service.

But Moak added: "I'm sure James Shanley would like to get started on his appointment, but that is up to the governor."
As Shanley says, Fowler was appointed by former (Republican) Governor Mitt Romney. Politics, you know? Shanley is a Dem.

I leave it to you, dear readers, to decide for yourselves. If you even care, that is.

No comments: