Sunday, April 27, 2008

Whoa, Nellie

I just read this on Ari Herzog's other blogspot, www.ariwriter.com.

Tsongas also mentioned, which was news to me, that every member of Congress receives an annual budget of $1.3 million to hire 18 staff members.

That would be Congresswoman Niki Tsongas, who represents the Mass. 5th congressional district, in the Merrimack Valley.

There are 435 members of Congress, not counting the 100 senators who are technically members of the United States Congress but generically are not referenced as such.

Yikes.

4 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

She may have referred to the House, not the Senate. I didn't ask for an elaboration.

And until now, I've never seen Blogger's interface, "blogspot," referred as a noun.

Gillian Swart said...

*sigh* I like the term. Just "blog" sounds somehow unsavory to me.

"What a blog," I picture someone saying - in a derogatory sense - about another person.

It's a spot with a blog on it. I meant nothing to do with the interface. But if it offends just one reader, I'll use "web log" in the future.

Better?

Ari Herzog said...

A blogger is one who blogs, no different than a journalist is one who journals. One doesn't blogspot, nor does one web log.

I didn't create these terms, but I'm not about to create my own either.

Gillian Swart said...

OK, well now I'm confused about what you're saying. And I'm dazed because it feels weird to be having this exchange with you on a blog (OMG I said it!) instead of face-to-face or on the phone since those resources are available to us as two people who know one another.

I thought all I did was identify your other blog (OMG I said it again!) as your blogspot. And I thought the word "blog" was derived from "web log."

So in that context, using web log instead of "blogspot" as a noun would be correct. Which is what I did.

But you make an excellent point about creating words. My siblings and I have a history of doing that among ourselves to the point of total silliness sometimes.

But I don't especially like it in the public forum, either, so I will accept your rebuke.